Tuesday, March 20, 2007

KnittaPalooza 2007

Today is Tuesday; two days after the end of Knittapalooza 2007, and I am still recuperating from the weekend... and I still haven't come up with a good way to tell you about the event. I attended my first Knittapalooza, two years ago, where I took a couple of classes with Lily Chin. She taught reversible cable patterns. The classes were great, and I was hooked on Knittapalooza.

Last year, I didn't even consider doing just one day, I signed up for the entire weekend, and my husband gifted me with the event for Christmas/b-day. Lucy Neatby, Lyn Worley, and Virginia's own, Edie Eckman and Linda Fraille taught classes. Linda is a local spinner who is also a member of TKGV. I learned a cool bind off from Lucy, Lyn discussed short row shaping along with talks about color choices, and I learned that I found drop spindle spinning cumbersome from Linda Fraille. The wheel was magical from the first time I touched it.

This year, Sally Melville, Judy Pascale, Cindy Taylor, and Natalie Wilson taught. I took several classes and sat in on two "lectures" with Sally. She was a fabulous teacher and a joy to be around. At dinner on both Fri. and Sat. night, she joined a group of us, and we talked knitting (DUH!), creative children, Canada, and the wonderful weather on her arrival (that quickly deteriorated to pouring rain and cold temps the second day.)

I was surrounded all weekend by fabulous knitters. I wish I had taken more photos of the sweaters people were wearing and the knitting in almost every lap. Too cool for lengthy descriptions...only photos would do them justice! I already placed a deposit on next year's fun... Melissa Leapman, Anne Modesitt, and
Margaret Fisher. I am greatly looking forward to the classes.

OK. I know this is what most of you, especially Vickie are waiting for: photos

Sally Melville and I.


Judy Pascale showing us how to easily block our beaded shawls.


Mary Jo working on our toe-up, magic loop socks. Both of us are behind for our Wed. night class... knit, knit, knit.

Peggie in her beautiful entrelac Noro sweater.

Terry (AKA the Temptress)


And if that wasn't enough, there were oodles and oodles of door prizes. I could almost swear everyone went home with something! Look what Barb won.
Barb has so much yarn she keeps A LOT of it in a heated and air conditioned storage unit! We tried to convince her that she didn't need 7 additional skeins of Purled Llama yarns, but she merely ignored us! But she did allow a photo. Note her beautiful Norwegian. She teaches a Norwegian class for The Knitting Corner. Susan, the owner also attended Knittapalooza and took classes with Sally.

I'll show you my swag by the end of the week.

3 comments:

vlb5757 said...

I know that must have been in knitting heaven. I would have never been able to keep up with all the projects from the classes. I can't wait to see what you bought and I am sure that you talk about everything at the Knitting Guild meeting. I would have been tickled pink to attend but American Express and Mastercard might beg to differ! They expect to be paid on a regular basis. Blast those people!!

maureen said...

Bruce gave me this for b-day/Christmas. I'll have to provide a bit more of the funds next year. I felt guilty that he had provided a FAR better gift for me than I did for him.

vlb5757 said...

I am with you about the gift giving stuff. Hubby usually gives much better gifts to me because one, I provide him with a list and two I keep reminding him that my birthday, or anniversary, or Mother's Day is coming. I get off easy with a gift card to man-land; Home Depot. He is happy, I am happy and it all ends well. I learn something about knitting and he gets a knitted gift. I get something done to my house while keeping the remote out of his hands. See how well this all works for both parties?? lol!